Ativan (or Lorazepam) is a powerful drug used for the treatment of anxiety disorders. This is a short-acting drug that belongs to the group of drugs called benzodiazepines. Ativan has 5 common effects of benzodiazepines: amnesic, relieving anxiety, anti-convulsant, sedative and miorelaxing effects. Ativan is intended for the short-term use. It is intended for the treatment of anxiety, sleeplessness and to tranquilize patients in the hospital.
Ativan is a drug that you can buy with or without prescription. You may easily buy Ativan from any of verifiable sources.
Ativan belongs to the group of medicines called benzodiazepines. It affects certain brain chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced in patients with anxiety.
Before starting the treatment with Ativan, you should tell your doctor if you’ve ever suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema or bronchitis. It is essential to tell your physician which other drug you’re taking to avoid drug interactions.
For the treatment of insomnia, take the drug half an hour before sleep. It will allow you to achieve the maximum effect and fall asleep very fast.
The daily dosage must be divided into several intakes (every 8 hours). Never take the daily dosage at a time. This will allow you to maintain the optimal level of the active ingredients in the body and minimize the risk of adverse effects.
- Avoid using ethanol during the treatment
- Patients with low blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, heart failure or underweight must adjust the dosage
- Patients with respiratory failure, liver or renal dysfunction or suicidal thoughts must not use Ativan (Lorazepam)
- As the active ingredient of the drug may affect the fetus and get into the breast milk, you should stop taking Ativan (Lorazepam) if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
The most widespread adverse effects caused by the use of Lorazepam are sedation, vertigo, fatigue and instability. Other adverse effects are: depression, lack of orientation, head pain and sleeping disorders. Moreover, Lorazepam may cause addiction. Sudden drug withdrawal after several months of treatment may cause the loss of self-esteem, anxiety and sleeplessness. If Lorazepam is taken constantly for longer than several months, stopping the treatment suddenly may cause cramps, shiver, muscle seizures, vomiting and perspiration.
Fatigue and drowsiness, vertigo, muscle fatigue, sickness, lack of appetite, absence of emotions, retardation of mental and motive reactions and reduced blood pressure.
All these adverse effects can be caused by the increase of daily dosage or individual intolerance of the active ingredients of Lorazepam.
Always stick to the doctor’s prescriptions to minimize the risk of adverse effects.
The long use of Ativan in maximum dosages may lead to the drug addiction. That’s why it is essential to make breaks in the therapy.
- Always consult your physician before taking Ativan. As is a prescription drug, you should use it under the medical supervision.
- Never change the dosage, as it may cause undesirable consequences.
- Stick to the drug instuctions.
The dosage of Ativan is prescribed depending on the patient’s age and severity of the disease. Never recommend this medicine to anyone with similar symptoms.