Doxycycline is an antibiotic remedy of tetracycline group with broad spectrum of action. It is effective against salmonella, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pathogens of typhoid fever, gonorrhoea and syphilis, chlamydia and mycoplasma. The instruction of the drug will give you more information about the Doxycycline usage.
Doxycycline can be bought over the counter in capsule form. Each capsule incorporates 100 mg of doxycycline hydrochloride – the active substance of antibiotic.
A feature of this antimicrobial drug is that it penetrates inside the cells of pathogenic microorganisms, inhibiting protein synthesis, and thus destroying them. This feature allows Doxycycline to destroy both gram-negative and gram-positive microbes and many other strains not addressed by modern cephalosporins and penicillins. For example, Doxycycline destroys ureaplasma – intracellular parasite that is capable of hitting the urinary tract and genitals. Within two hours after ingestion, the substance has the highest concentration in the body, and this concentration is maintained for at least a day. Compared to Tetracycline, this drug boasts a large spectrum of action and less side effects.
The use of the drug
Antibiotic Doxycycline is prescribed for the following diseases:
- infections of the digestive system (cholecystitis, peritonitis, proctitis, cholangitis, periodontitis);
- ways of infection respiratory (pneumonia, empyema, pleurisy, bronchitis);
- infections of ENT organs (tonsillitis, strep throat and sinusitis);
- infections of the genitourinary system (pyelonephritis, urethritis);
- pathology of the pelvis, having an inflammatory character;
- epididymitis, acute or chronic prostatitis;
- infectious ulcerative keratitis;
- acne and purulent infection of the tissues;
- gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, mycoplasmosis;
- rickettsiosis, brucellosis, whooping cough;
- leptospirosis, Lyme disease, actinomycosis;
- the fever, cholera, Lyme disease, and amoebic or bacillary dysentery;
- infection that causes hemophilic Bacillus;
- psittacosis, trachoma;
- prevention of malaria;
- prevention of infections after abortion and operations of the colon.
Analogues of the drug
The analogues of Doxycycline include all the tetracycline drugs. Most commonly patients use Doxybene, Yunidoks Solutab and Doxycycline. It is only necessary to note that Doxycycline has much softer effect on the intestinal microflora.
The dosage regimen
You should take this medicine need after food, once a day or every 12 hours. In the case of infectious diseases, Doxycycline is administered in a dosage of 200 mg. A more accurate dosage should be appointed by a specialist. The duration of treatment with this antibiotic, in most cases, is two weeks.
Considering the cases when Doxycycline is not assigned, the instruction highlights the following: hypersensitivity to doxycycline or tetracycline, renal failure, thrombocytopenia, children up to eight years of age and also lactating and pregnant women.
In some cases, the antibiotic agent Doxycycline may cause such adverse reactions as nausea, retching, dizziness, sweating, leukopenia, angioedema, and some other allergic reactions. By the way, long-term use of Doxycycline may result in the development of intestinal dysbiosis, yellow teeth and thrush.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.