Ampicillin is an antibiotic under the penicillin group of drugs. It is used to treat infections caused by certain types of bacteria. It works great by destroying the formation of a bacteria’s cell wall while it is growing. This suppresses and ruptures the cell wall leading to the death of the bacteria.
Make sure you use the drug for the entire course of treatment. If not, the medicine might not clear up the infections, and the bacteria may become more resistant to this or other drugs. Ampicillin should be used by the patient for whom it is prescribed and not shared with any other person.
Certain medical conditions may react with ampicillin therefore if you are pregnant, have any allergies to medicines, stomach infection or if you are taking any prescription medicine, tell your doctor prior to treatment. Medicines too may interact with ampicillin, they include:
- Probenecid; increases ampicillin’s side effects
- Tetracyclines; decreases the effectiveness of ampicillin
- Aminoglycosides; decreases ampicillin’s effectiveness
- Anticoagulants; ampicillin increases the risk of their side effects
- Allopurinol; increases the risk of skin rash
Enquire from your health care provider whether other medicines you take may interact with ampicillin. Also, inform your doctor before you start, change or stop any medicine’s dose.
How to use Ampicillin
Take Ampicillin as prescribed by the doctor. Alternatively, adhere to the following instructions;
- Swallow Ampicillin two hours after eating accompanied by a glass of water
- Ensure that you take this medicine the same time every day
- Use Ampicillin for the full course of medication to clear up your infections
- Take a dose of Ampicillin as soon as possible if you missed it.
- Ask your pharmacist any questions regarding how to use and dispose of Ampicillin.
Do not take Ampicillin if;
- You recently received oral typhoid vaccine
- You are suffering from mononucleosis
- You are under a tetracycline antibiotic
- You are allergic to any penicillin antibiotic
Take extreme caution while using ampicillin in children younger than 10 years especially those who have diarrhea and stomach infections. Medical assessment such as kidney function examination, blood cell counts is mandatory while using Ampicillin. These tests are carried out to monitor one’s condition.
Hormonal birth control pills may be less effective when using Ampicillin, therefore, one should seek alternative forms of birth control to stop pregnancy.
All medicines pose potential effects on the body which can be persistent and cumbersome. Common side effects of Ampicillin include;
- Bloody stools
- Stomach cramps
- Chest tightness
- Swelling of the face, mouth, lips, and tongue
- Painful vaginal discharge
- Mild diarrhea and vomiting
- Inflammation of the tongue
Buying Ampicillin online
All drugs are readily available online, and Ampicillin is no exception. In order to purchase medicine online, one should visit their website and search for a legitimate pharmacy. Then create a user account before you order the drug. Once you have placed an order, arrange for payment then await delivery. Online pharmacies have proved to be convenient since one can fill a prescription on the internet and have it approved by a licensed online pharmacist.